What is Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)?
At their most fundamental level, CSA farms provide a weekly delivery of sustainably grown produce to consumers during the growing season (June – October). Those consumers in turn pay a membership fee. A CSA joins farmers and local consumers creating a community. As a CSA Member, you will have a direct relationship with Smolak Farms, sharing in the bounty of each harvest of fresh picked berries, fruits, vegetables and herbs.
What is the 2016 CSA Season?
Our 18 week season runs from June 15 through October 12. The fruits and vegetables that we pack into your box each week will vary with the rhythms of the growing season. This means that in the early boxes you will see strawberries, varieties of lettuce and perhaps some fresh cider donuts! As we approach summer, you will see garden favorites such as green beans, tomatoes, basil, peppers, carrots, summer squash, cucumbers, raspberries, blueberries and much more! As the summer winds down, you will receive the next planting of lettuce, winter squash, a large carving pumpkin for Halloween and of course a variety of apples!
What Makes your CSA Different?
THE FRUIT! Due to our extensive fruit orchards and berry patches, we provide you with ripe, delicious seasonal fruits and berries fresh from our fields. We grow: Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Plums, Peaches, Watermelon, Cantaloupe & Apples. If you would like extra fruit for baking or preserves, CSA Members receive a 10% discount on all pick-your-own (PYO) fruit and berries throughout the entire growing season. We also offer Exclusive Discounts & Special Surprises to our valued CSA members. Look for a crop of our famous Apple Cider Donuts! Members also earn Smolak Farms Gift Cards through our NEW Customer Loyalty Program.
How Much Does It Cost?
Half share: $375/season Full share: $695/season
- The full 18-week season is prepaid in advance at the time of Registration.
- A HALF SHARE should feed 2 with normal size servings. ($21/week)
- A FULL SHARE should be enough produce to feed 4 people. ($38/week)
- A Full Share contains twice the produce as a Half Share.
- Members have the option to purchase a wooden crate (handmade in Vermont) to transport the CSA Share for an additional $15. The crate is yours to keep!
We Reward our Loyal Customers: Earn $25 Gift Cards!
CSA Members are automatically enrolled in our NEW Customer Loyalty Program and earn a $25 Gift Card for every $500 in Smolak Farm purchases. Your CSA Membership, all Farm Stand, Bakery, Ice Cream & Greenhouse purchases, WHIM dinners, Festival tickets as well as booking Birthday Parties all count towards earning awards. Full Share Members instantly earn a $25 Smolak Farms Gift Card! Half share CSA Member registrations also count towards earning rewards.
What’s Included in the Vegetable/Fruit CSA?
- Acorn Squash
- Butternut Squash
- Green Beans
- Peach Crop LOST!
- Pickling Cucumbers
- Sugar Pumpkin
- Summer Squash
- Winter Squash
Herbs Will Include:
New Fruit For 2016
What Special Discounts do CSA Members Receive?
- A 50% discount on all “Hop On” Hayride tickets.
- A 10% discount on all PYO (Pick your Own) Fruit.
- A 10% discount on WHIM dinner tickets.
- A 10% discount on all Farm Stand & Bakery purchases
- A 10% discount on all Ice Cream Stand purchases.
- A 10% discount on all Greenhouse purchases.
- A 20% discount on Festival Tickets.
- A 10% discount on Thanksgiving & Holiday Pie Orders.
- A 10% discount on Gingerbread Houses.
- A 10% discount on Christmas Trees & Wreaths.
- A 10% discount on Special Events & Workshops.
- A FREE Large Carving Pumpkin at Halloween.
- Surprise Gifts & Exclusive Offers at CSA pick-up.
What’s New for CSA 2016?
Download: What’s New for 2016?
We have made many substantial improvements to the 2016 CSA program. The CSA is now under a new management team that is fully committed to delivering outstanding value, customer service and the freshest, tastiest assortment of fruits, berries, herbs and vegetables in New England! Here’s a summary of what’s new and improved for 2016:
- CSA SEASON EXPANDED TO 18 WEEKS.
- NEW FRUIT! Watermelon & Cantaloupe.
- FREE LARGE CARVING PUMPKIN AT HALLOWEEN
- ANTIQUE APPLE ORCHARD: Private advance access before orchard is open to the public. This orchard includes 20 different varieties of apples, many that are no longer grown for commercial harvest.
- FRESH PRODUCE! All produce will be picked fresh early in the morning on the day of pick up and carefully placed in wooden crates to preserve quality and insure that each member receives the same assortment and quantity of produce, no matter what time of the day you arrive.
- FREE SUPPLEMENTAL PRODUCE OPPORTUNITIES:
- Extra Produce Table: We share with you any extras we harvest.
- Swap Table: Leave what you don’t care for & SWAP out for what you enjoy.
- Baker’s Table: Bruised but still delicious produce for jams, cobblers, soups, smoothies, & baking.
- PYO vouchers: When we have a bumper crop, we share the bounty.
- CUSTOMER LOYALTY PROGRAM: For every $500 spent in any area of the Farm, a $25 Gift Card will be earned. Full Share members automatically receive a $25 Gift Card upon registration. Half Share CSA Member registration also counts towards earning rewards.
- WEEKLY SURPRISES: Vouchers for a FREE Treat or Special Member Discounts.
- 50% DISCOUNT ON ALL HAYRIDE TICKETS ALL SEASON!
- 20% DISCOUNT ON FESTIVAL PASSES.
- 10% DISCOUNT on ALL Purchases, ALL Season in ALL areas of the Farm: Farm Stand; Bakery; Ice Cream Stand; Greenhouse; Pick your Own; Festivals, Special Events; Workshops; Birthday Parties; Night Hayrides; Tours & WHIM dinners. Present Membership Card at time of payment to receive discount.
- MEMBER NEWSLETTER: New Editor! Recipes; Storage Tips; Coupons; and advance notice of Workshops; Tastings; Sales; PYO conditions, WHIM dinners; Festivals and special events.
- FREQUENT BUYER CARDS: Ice Cream & Coffee/Espresso Bar: Buy 10 items, get 1 FREE.
- MEMBERS ONLY WORKSHOPS: Workshops offered at reduced rates for CSA Members only. (Pie Baking; Canning; Candy Apples; Wreaths; Gardening)
- PLACE ADVANCE ORDERS: Lunch, Dairy, Bakery, Ice Cream, Produce, Meat, Poultry—All ready at CSA pick-up.
SUPPORT LOCAL AGRICULTURE! BECOME A CSA MEMBER TODAY.
How do I Sign Up?
We are planning our best CSA ever! Memberships are limited and sell out every year.
Choose from 2 Registration Methods:
- Print & Mail Registration Form with your Check or Credit Card info
- Click Above Link to Pay online with PayPal or Credit Card
When/Where Do I Pick Up The Produce?
Pickup days for your CSA will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis. The shares will be available for a Wednesday or Thursday pickup from 12 noon to 6PM. All produce will be freshly picked, washed and boxed the day of pickup. All pickups will be at Smolak Farms in North Andover, MA. Choose your day carefully as it is not an option to switch days once the season has started. The pick up location is in a protected area next to the Ice Cream Stand. There is ample parking in front of the Farm Stand as well as behind the Farm Stand, close to the pick up location. We are expanding the parking lot in front of the Farm Stand this year. Wednesday Pick up is sold out. Thursday pick up still available.
* All fruits and vegetables are subject to availability. Substitutions of other crops will replace any shortfall of a crop that has not produced as expected.
What happens to my share if I travel or go on vacation?
If you go away on vacation, you may Gift your Share to a friend or family member. You will receive a CSA Membership Card with pick-up instructions by the end of May. The card must be shown at time of pickup. You may have anyone pick up your share in your absence as long as your “Agent” presents your Membership Card during the assigned pick up day, time and location. If you are unable to arrange for someone else to pick up your share, please notify us via email at CSA@smolakfarms.com so we may offer your produce to other CSA Members or donate to local charities.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Unclaimed shares DO NOT accumulate. If you do not pick up your share for 2 weeks, you WILL NOT receive a triple share when you return from vacation.
What if I am running late and can’t get to the Farm by 6PM?
To insure you receive the highest quality produce, picked fresh specifically for you, we ask our Members to make every effort to arrive during the pick up hours of Noon and 6 PM on your assigned pick up day. The Pick-up Table is dismantled and closed by 6:15 PM. If you have an emergency and are unable to arrive on time, please text us at at 781-588-4915 prior to 6PM. (Text: Name; Membership #; and “Half” or “Full” Share & Estimated Time of arrival). If you notify us prior to closing time, we will make every effort to arrange for you to pick up your share between 6:15 PM and 8:30 PM at the Ice Cream Stand window. Please DO NOT arrive late at night or the next day looking for your share without giving us prior notice.
Keeping us informed when you are not able to make your pick up avoids beautiful, fresh picked produce from spoiling and eliminates an unnecessary waste of food others could enjoy. Please be considerate and remember that we harvest and reserve a specific allotment of produce specifically for you. We have over 400 Full and Half Shares we are managing each week.
Any unclaimed shares from Wednesday (When Members don’t show up and don’t let us know they are not coming) will be offered to CSA Members on Thursday. Any unclaimed shares from Thursday will be donated to local charities on Friday morning.
Who do I contact with Questions, Suggestions & Problems?
SMOLAK FARMS GUARANTEE: If you experience a problem with your CSA Membership, one of our products or customer service, please let us know. We’ll do whatever it takes to make it right.
Mary K. Stewart
Farm Stand Manager
315 South Bradford Street
North Andover, MA 01845
978-682-6332 (ext. 0)